Thick Skincare Gel Stock Solution with Sepimax Zen
What is Sepimax Zen? Very simply, it is a light, white powder that can create crystal-clear water-based gels. It can also create cream gels and handle many different additives, actives, emollients, and even some oils! I source my Sepimax Zen from Lotioncrafter because of the consistent quality and the great price! It's a fairly popular skincare ingredient available on Etsy and sometimes eBay. Be sure to shop around! Make sure that the INCI name is Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6.
Before getting started, please read the entire post first!
Thick Skincare Gel Stock Ingredients
Makes 100 grams
- 76.5g distilled or reverse-osmosis water
- 20g aloe vera juice
- 3g Sepimax Zen
- 0.5g Liquid Germall Plus
Thick Skincare Gel Stock Directions
- Weight out distilled water, aloe vera juice, and liquid germall plus separately before combining into a clean beaker or sterile container
- Weight out Sepimax Zen and sprinkle over liquid ingredient surface. Powder will float. Do not mix in!
- Cover container with plastic wrap and wait 8 hours. You can look at it, but don't touch it! It will start to thicken; this is the magic.
- Use a fork or wire whisk to mix to hydrate fully. It will be the consistency of Jell-O, ready for use and storage.
- Use a 65% thick stock gel stock solution with water-soluble skincare ingredients like licorice root, gotu kola, and calendula!
Important Formulating Standards and Practices
- Formulate in a clean, well-lit, well-ventilated space. Formulating skincare at home is safe as long as you review and follow the Good Manufacturing Practices from the FDA.
- You must use distilled, reverse-osmosis, or otherwise sterilized water or hydrosol. You cannot use tap water, filtered water, well water, or bottled spring water. A gallon of distilled water from the grocery store is suitably economical!
- You must use a preservative. It is not optional. Without a broad spectrum preservative, your formulation will grow mold, bacteria, fungi, and/or yeast. You do not want to rub any of that on your face. Liquid germall plus is readily available from your favorite online retailer!
- TaraLee Skincare YouTube
- Lotioncrafter Shop
- MakingCosmetics Shop
- Formulator Sample Shop
- SwiftCraftyMonkey.blog (requires paid subscription)